Tuesday 14 April 2009

I want to live in Cartonlandia!





I love papercrafters, there is something very beautiful, intricate and delicate about creating sculptural pieces with an everyday item that we usually take for granted.  Thanks to some great photos of the "Papershapers" show in LA by the great papercrafting man himself, Matt Hawkins, I was lucky enough to spot the eye-popping, heart-stopping papershaping work of Ana Serrano.  In particular her wonderful, colourful, paperful "Cartonlandia" (pictured above), this piece measures 62 x 48 x 54 inches and is made from a lovely collision of acrylic, collage and mixed media on cardboard.  I absolutely adore the tiny details, house numbers, photographs of people sitting on balconies and the incredible use of bright colours, Cartonlandia sparks something inside me, something that wishes I could shrink down and take a magical paper bus tour around Cartonlandia, care to join me?

If you are lucky enough to live in or near LA take write these details down on a piece of paper....

Papershapers, a group show curated by the super Giant Robot, April 11 - May 2 at Scion space

No comments: